Friday, September 26, 2014

Week 8 update

Week 8,
So this is quite a long week. I've been here since Thursday, since there was 2 hours PGG form 3 on Friday. This week form four students will be focusing on social issues, active ageing. First lesson is quite interesting as they were clueless of what is active ageing. I had assigned them with some reading and did the jigsaw activity. After the activity they were enlightened on the issues. I had sequence the issues with their short drama on the second lesson; Qwertyuiop, by asking some linking questions to the students. It was a success as students were able to link between the stories and the issues. Also they had recap on the plot of the short story; the activity was plot 'role play', where groups of students continuously act as the characters based on the story plot. The third lesson continued with me showed the students two videos on volunteering the old folks in Retirement Village. The lesson end with they wrote a continuous essay titled 'Volunteering.' However, to my surprised when I marked their essay, almost all of them thought that volunteering was the deed the old folks do, instead of the what the younger generation should do. I had to explain  to them next week. For form two students, as they were getting closer to their checkpoints, I had assigned them with IGCSC papers and discussed it in class on the next lesson. I had also taught grammar class; punctuation. To my surprise they were confused for some of the punctuation usage. For this purpose, I had conducted two lessons for their practices. I had also involved with teaching form five and form three students. Form five students were assigned with continuous essay and also a directed essay. They were eager to know their essay marks when I entered the class. For form three class, my mentor had assigned me to give some grammar exercise for them. The students were able to finish it in a very short time. I had taught all forms that my mentor teach this trimester within this week, its good experience to have a glimpse of what a real teacher should be. If I were forced to take full time of teaching of all the classes, it must be tiring.

No comments:

Post a Comment